Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Book Worm

I have been flying through the books the past couple months. I'm in two different book clubs. I guess I just am feeling the pressure to have the books read for each one. Here are the books I've read in the last two months and my thoughts on them.

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Yep, this was recently turned into a movie. And was nominated for Best Picture, too (I think). I can't say that I really liked this book, but it left an impression. It kept me reading, but I disliked the characters (good writing though to make me feel the way I felt towards them). I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. In a nutshell this is about family and cancer. It is a memoir. I learned a lot about life with cancer. This was an easy read. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Dancing With Rose by Lauren Kessler . This book in general is about life with Alzheimer. It also touches on the elderly care system and aging. It was very insightful and is nonfiction. I learned a lot from it. I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. This book was set in remote 19th-century China and details the deeply affecting story of lifelong, intimate friends and their imprisonment by rigid codes of conduct for women and their betrayal by pride and love. I would have never picked to read this story on my own. Though I learned a lot about the Chinese culture. It was a bit heard to get through at moments. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.

It has been very interesting to read books that I don't pick on my own. It really makes me branch into topics and styles of books I would never be drawn to. In the end though I have learned a lot and have found each one truly interesting.

No comments: