Friday, November 20, 2009

Olive Crest

Every year we donate in some form to a charity for the holidays. We usually pick something that is gift related and that will go to a kiddo in need. The last two years we've supported an organization called Olive Crest. They work with foster children and foster families.

This year we were given a name of a little 2 year old boy and we purchased him items for his stocking. Shane went with me during one of my trips out to get things for the stocking. I was so amazed by how at only 2 years of age he seemed to understand what we were doing. I really thought I was going to have some huge melt downs on my hands when I started piling things in the cart that I knew he would want and like. But instead he would hold the items and I would explain to him that they were for the little boy we were helping to buy "surprises" for. Shane was completely happy and content with that and was more then willing to help me pick things out for the little guy. He would even sign to me about the boy and his surprises. I was super proud of him! Just shows it is never to young to teach a child how important it is to give to others.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Good Mom Award! And Great Kid Award for Shane.

It's so important to start young with compassion and giving. That's hard for a 2 year old but Shane obviously gets it :)