Thursday, October 9, 2014

First Real Soccer Season

It happened...Shane asked to play soccer.

After his dislike for it when he was a toddler I thought we might just skip over the whole soccer thing. But then he started to play it at recess at school. Then he started to talk about soccer non-stop (in the middle of baseball season). Then he wanted to play soccer at home. Finally, he asked if he could join a team. Ok, Ok, we'll let you give soccer a second try. And darn it, he likes it a lot and he is actually even pretty darn good at it, too.

He plays on a U-8 soccer team called the Juanita Lightning. They haven't won a single game. But they are getting better and better each game and it is a lot of fun to see the boys improve each week.

This particular game they played a super super good team. Shane also played a whole half as goalie for the first time. I don't think goalie is his favorite position, although he played it really hard and intensely.






One of the funniest things about Shane playing soccer is how right in the middle of everything he is. After living with this kid who has had major anxiety and is super sensitive and hated soccer when he was 3 years old because the kids were to close to him and there was too much movement. He is now right smack in the middle of it all. It amazes me every time I see him play. It is a huge reminder of how far he has come.





Cheering his team on from the sidelines. Another awesome thing about this soccer season is that we've yet to play or practice in the rain! I'll be a soccer Mom any day in the sunshine. It's that cold, rain and mud that gets me. 


Today after practice he asked me if he could play next season, too. I think we may have ourselves a soccer player. Shhhh....Don't tell him that there is a such thing as indoor soccer. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

No comments: