Friday, February 14, 2014

Homemade Applesauce

Shane (in the car): Mommy, when are you going to make applesauce again?

Me: Hmm...I'm not really sure. Why? Did you want me to make some more?

Shane: Yes! It's so good. Warm. With cinnamon and so smooth. Just talking about it is making me hungry. I want some right now.

Me: Okay, well I'll work on making some soon.

Fast forward a week or so and I made the kid some applesauce and this is how I did it.

1. I cut the apples into quarters and cut the cores out. Leaving the peels on. I toss them into the crockpot for a couple hours. It really doesn't take very long to get them soft and mushy.

Ops...I forgot to take any pictures with the apples in the crockpot. This was after I had taken them all out, but use your imagination here. Quartered apples, with the peels on, all mushy.

A couple years ago I purchased this gadget. It is a bit of a monster, but I still love him and he makes things like applesauce super easy to make.

2. Stick the warm mushy apples into the big white funnel then turn the handle which moves it through the tunnel, where pure smashed apples come out the side and the icky peels and stuff comes out the end.


3. Add some cinnamon. Voila, homemade, no sugar added, applesauce.

Serve it up to an excitedly waiting.


We didn't make it through eating the whole bowl I made, so I froze a couple bags of it so I can use it in baking muffins.

No comments: