Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Garden

The garden is coming along and actually looks like a garden!!

In this bed we have the 2nd batch of Sugar Snap Peas I planted. So they are slightly smaller then the ones you'll see in another bed. One lonely cucumber that has turned around and is doing well now. The rest of his buddies didn't make it through all the rain and a few dog paws running through them. Then there are 6 strawberry plants that we have already eaten (well, Shane has) 5 yummy sweet juicy strawberries off of. There are more just about ready to be picked, plus a lot of green ones. I'm thinking about making this bed all strawberries next year.
Here we have 6 broccoli plants that have us stumped. They are growing well, but we can't figure out where they are actually going to be making any broccoli. We haven't seen any flowers, so I'm not sure we'll actually have any broccoli this year? Then there are 5 various cherry tomato plants that have done well bouncing back from all the rain and lack of sun. Lots of little yellow flowers on them. I can't wait for some yummy cherry tomatoes!!
This bed has 6 pumpkin plants in it. I desperately want pumpkins this fall. I hope the six that managed to come up from seeds make us proud with at least one pumpkin.
Here was have 4 lettuce plants, which is one of my favorite things about having a garden. I like using lettuce on various things, but never enough to actually buy it at the store or it goes bad before I can use it all. Now we just walk out and pick leaves here and there when we need lettuce. Then two rows of carrots that I don't think are doing as well I would like them to be. But I remembered this morning we planted multi-colored carrots so I think that may be the reason they seem to be growing so slow. Finally, two more rows of sugar snap peas. The flowers are just starting to come out on them.

No comments: