Thursday, October 22, 2009

Homemade Chili


I've been working really hard lately to get some healthy, quick and easy recipes added to my dinner rotation. I think some major progress has been made and I wanted to start sharing some of my yummy discoveries. This week I made homemade chili. It was a huge batch, so we ate it two nights in a row and I frozen enough for two more dinners.

Our dinner schedule usually works that I make dinner one night and the next is left overs. I just haven't gotten to the point where I want to be making dinner every night! It works for us.

I also love dinners that I can start during nap time or in the morning and have ready to pop in the over when it's time to cook it. I'd prefer not to be slaving over a hot stove with a trillion different pots going. Just to much focus needed with a 2 year old in the house.

This chili recipe was super easy to make. I put it in the crock pot and let it simmer and get all yummy during the day. The house smelled so good. Then I survived it up with some cornbread. Everyone liked it!

Homemade Chili
from the kitchen of Jeanette Lynton
1 onion chopped
1 Tbs. oil
3 lbs. ground beef
2-10 oz. cans Campbell’s French Onion Soup
1-12 oz. can tomato paste
1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
2-27 oz. cans kidney beans with liquid
2-15 oz. cans red beans with liquid
2-½ tsp. chili powder
5 tsp. cumin
1 ½ tsp. ground pepper
Brown chopped onion and ground beef in a large soup pot. Drain. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes. Or transfer in a large crock pot and set at low for 4 hours. This is best to bring out the flavors. For a smaller batch, just cut the recipe in half…easy. Serves 10-12

Perfect for these cold fall days! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I love the idea of the crockpot and adding
the French onion soup! Yum! I will definitely
be trying this one.

Samantha said...

Hey! Sounds Yummy! If you go to www.thriftynorthwwestmom.com, she has a post once a week for people to post their favorite recipes with a Mr. Linky hook up! I have been doing this for 3 weeks now and I have gotten a ton of new recipes + my blog traffic picked up a lot from posting links to my weekly dinner challenges!