Monday, February 27, 2012

Conversations With Shane

This morning as Shane was getting dress for school:

Shane: I am excited to go to school today.

(I am 100% shocked to hear this statement. It was the first time he has ever said this about school. The first time in 1.5 years of going to preschool that he didn't whine and cry in the morning about going to preschool. Especially after going back from a week off for mid-winter break.)

Me: I am so, so, so happy to hear you say that. (followed by lots of hugs and kisses)

Later in the morning:

Shane: Can we hurry up, I really want to get to school. (another first)

Me: We'll leave in just about 30 minutes. I am very excited and happy you want to leave for school.

There was not a single tear shed at school when I dropped him off. No whining or fussing about going there. No anxiety at all. This is a HUGE step for Shane. The struggles we have gone through with his anxiety towards the outside world have been rough on all of us. This may seem like such a small thing to most kids or parents, but it is enormous in the world of Shane.

I just hope Wednesday morning he feels the same way.

No comments: