Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Horses

Pretty and Handsome

 My horses...
Shane feeding Handsome.

Well....they really aren't my horses, but they live at the end of our cul-de-sac. A few months ago we started to take carrots to Lucky the goat on our walks. One day we walked by these guys and I just so happened to have some extra carrots with me. Handsome (the dark brown one) was right by the fence. I figured I'd see if he wanted a carrot, too. He sure did.

Pretty (the tan one) wasn't so sure of us at that point. She hung out in a side pasture and didn't have any interest in coming over and seeing us. Handsome on the other hand is a ham. He loves snuggling his head into you and licking your hand hoping for some hidden carrots in there. Our first few visits he would gallop away full of excitement or run over and tell Pretty about the carrot he just got. Often when we are coming and going from the house I'll see him out in the field rolling around on his back.

I love Handsome.

Adalyn trying to give Pretty a carrot from the backpack. 

Adalyn was nervous about these guys at first, but now she loves them and knows what I am talking about when I mention the horses.


Just in the last few weeks Pretty has started to come over and see us. Each visit she has gotten more and more friendly and comfortable. This last time she stayed so we could pet her. Some times they'll be hanging out in the barn when we walk by and as of late have even started coming out from there to see us (or me, since Handsome loves me, too). Recently, Handsome was in an adjoining pasture and he came galloping over to get to us. Have I mentioned I love him?




We don't know who owns these awesome animals or what their real names are. They live in a communal field for the group of homes across from where we live. They are covered in mud and need some TLC in my opinion. They are never ridden and maybe once a year I have seen a couple little girls in there petting them. Regardless of all of that my days are brighter when I get to go see my horses.

1 comment:

momto8 said...

they are beautiful animals! your kids are lucky to be able to pet them and see their beauty up close!
I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.
Happy March!