Thursday, February 17, 2011

Salt Dough Craft

I've always wanted to try Salt Dough. Finally last week, Shane and I sat down and had some fun with a Salt Dough project. My intent was to make spring items to hang. But with a 3 year old you can't always do what you want to do. Or make things quite as perfect as you would like them to be.

Here is the recipe we used:
1 cup salt
3 cups flour
1 cup lukewarm water (plus a little more if necessary)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
(taken from Make It Fast, Cook It Slow cookbook by Stephanie O'Dea)

One batch I baked in the crock pot on high for 3+ hours. The other half I backed in the oven at 215 degrees for 3+ hours. Both backing methods worked good. Some of our pieces were bigger then others. Thinner makes them bake faster. Also, in the crock pot the pieces tended to brown more. But since we painted them it really didn't matter.

Before the paint:

After the paint:

No comments: