Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Lid Game


Our Toddler Group recently had a large amount of Starbucks oatmeal lids donated to them. A Mom found out they were about to be thrown away so she sagged them up thinking someone may have a good use for them.

I thought and thought about ways to use these lids. I wanted to create something out of them. For awhile I tossed around the idea of some sort of ornament. Then one day I was looking on Pinterest for sight word games. I saw something done with little dixie cups and instantly knew what I was going to do with them.

There is where The Lid Game was invented.


I took the list of Shane's sight words that is he learning in Kindergarten, cut out circles of paper, wrote the words on the circles and then taped them to the top of the lid.

Hold on...here comes the best part. I then hid surprises under the lid. I mix it up each time we play, but some ideas are: jelly beans, M&M's, mini M&M's, coins, small plastic animals, shiny rocks (from his rock collection) legos...which he then built something out of afterwards, and erasers. You can use anything that fits under the lid and that your kiddo finds exciting.


We started out with candy, but Shane LOVED this game so much we played 5 rounds of it the first time. After the first two times I switched it up to other items besides candy and he still loved playing. We play this every couple of days and he is really making progress on his sight words.

After he gets really good at the words I take them off and put new/harder words on the lid tops.

Of course Sister needed her version of the game as well. On hers I put colors, shapes and numbers.


If you can't get your hands on a handful of Starbuck's oatmeal lids, you can use dixie cups, silo cups, or little containers that you can't see through. 

No comments: